Health is the true wealth
This concept of well-being includes how one perceives his own health.
Well-being has to do with what people feel and perceive about their lives. It focuses on overall satisfaction levels about life. It is a concept that integrates physical health and mental health. This concept of well-being includes how one perceives his own health. It embraces longevity, mental and physical illness, social connectedness, productivity and other factors in the physical and social environment. Those who feel high levels of well-being are more productive at work and also better at networking and contributing to their communities. So what can we do to improve our feelings of well-being?
- To start with, focus on improving your living environment: green trees, pure air and water are part of it.
- Focus on maintaining positive health not merely on avoiding illness. Increase energy levels through nutritious food, exercise, rest and sleep.
- Make friends with a doctor for preventive health activities.
- Build a network of friends and keep in touch with them regularly.
- Be involved with social activity to improve lives in the community.
- Well being includes positive emotions like contentment and happiness.
- It excludes negative emotions like anxiety, fear, anger and hatred.
- Economic and social well being is as critical as is engaging in satisfying activities at work.
- Research shows that higher levels of well-being are associated with decreased risk of disease.
The concept of well-being and its measurement is key to developing good public policy. A zestful and joyful life, is what all of us want. Just being out of hospital, is not what anyone is looking for. It is waking up in the morning and looking forward to an enjoyable and purposeful day.
The writer is the author of Everyday Happiness Mantras